Sunday 3 March 2013

Talented; whether famous or hidden.


Hello again, remember me? Yes it took me a while to find myself in amongst the innumerable amount of books and papers and such. Luckily I scraped my way out into the realms of normality, perhaps minus several ounces of sanity but here's to getting those back. Ah the joys of mock exams; all the fun of the circus. Now, although I do not like to disappoint  I'm going to go against my somewhat signature line of 'nothing interesting to write about' and state that although I've not written in a few weeks, I've been wanting to talk about this for a little while.
Before the business of exams arose, I had a very interesting conversation with one of the two other students in my music class. We spoke about how talent does not always constitute or lead to recognition. Her argument as a singer was that it does not necessarily take a huge amount of effort or intelligence to sing, whereas to play the piano, or to excel in any instrument does. Singing is more of a natural talent first and foremost. But then, people always enjoy music more if there is a singer, and it is only the musicians that truly recognise the talent of the musicians. I am in no position to judge talented singers, I have a great deal of envy for them in fact, but it did get me thinking about how we, as humans, get more enjoyment out of things where we can compare the talent, work or good will of others to that of ourselves, which can either develop into snobbery or potential hero-worship, depending on whether or not that person is better or worse than what you are. Going back to the example of music, people like watching singers because - whether good or bad - all of us have the ability to sing, but going to a piano concert might seem boring to someone who cannot play the piano. I believe this is purely down to the fact that most people are naturally incapable of truly appreciating something they cannot do themselves, which is a somewhat tragic analogy.


This can be applied to almost anything, if you think about it. Wherever your studies, careers, even family relationships have taken you, it can probably be seen that although talent can be acknowledged, it is not fully appreciated unless you share that talent. 
There have been so many studies and such done on theories of self-analysis, many of which will probably come up in the future around this blog! This was just the start of a trail of thought that I had, and since that conversation took place, and my usual procrastination session followed, I began to think more about things in people that I really admire. More importantly, I started to make a conscious effort to take an interest in things people did, not because I can do them better, or because they were better than me, and not because of any seemingly harmless ulterior motives, but just because there are so many amazingly gifted people out there that go unrecognised. I would hate to think that someone thought their talents were worthless, just because I was not willing to grant them some worth. 

"Talent develops in quiet places, character in the full current of human life"

 See. Talent develops in quiet places, but to give that talented individual character requires open-minded people who are willing to give their time and encouragement. 
Sermon for today is finished. I do enjoy conversations like that; they seem a little cliche and generic, but often what can be gained from talking to a like-minded person is insight and thought trails that might not have otherwise been considered.
If you are still reading, thanks a lot, it's nice to see viewing figures going up, although saying that, I love writing like this, so even if I had no readers, I'd probably still be taking up space every now and then!
Next week (and yes, I will try my best to blog next week!) will probably be part #2 of the self-analysis stream, as I have a considerable amount of personal experience in that area, and seem to spend a lot of my life putting it into practice, as many of my friends would tell you.
S'me for now.

Over and out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment